Click to go to Kiwanis International
   Chatham-Kent

Serving the Children of the World

View next topic
View previous topic

Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
musicdad

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:48 pm  Post subject: Bad ! music festival scheduling Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

I received the times for the different piano and violin classes that my children will be playing in this year and I am somewhat disappointed. Last year my 2 oldest played 4 and 5 pieces and these were spread out over the week so that at most one child had 2 pieces on one day. This allowed the child to prepare that evening her piece for the next day. This year my 3 children are playing 10! piano pieces on one day! The oldest two have 4 each and the youngest has 2. To make matters worse the day before these 3 children have 5 violin pieces and one piano piece. For these young beginning musicians this makes for 2 very intense days of festival which could overwhelm these youngsters. These children, as I am sure is true of all the competetors, have worked very hard for several months preparing their pieces. To have them perform 16 pieces over a 2 day period is very unfair. Hopefully next year consideration will be given to spacing the classes for each age out over an entire week to make for a more relaxed and rewarding festival experience.

Cancer  Rat OfflinePersonal Gallery of musicdadView user's profileSend private message
webmaster
Kiwanis Member
Kiwanis Member

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm  Post subject:   Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

I have forwarded your comments to our program committee. Hopefully your children will enjoy the experience nevertheless.

OfflinePersonal Gallery of webmasterView user's profileSend private message
antoon
Kiwanis Member
Kiwanis Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:22 pm  Post subject:   Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Here is the response of the Music Festival Committee:

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In the past we have only heard the opposite point of view...that being "Why did you make us come back so many times? We would prefer to have fewer days at the Festival...instead you had us come one day for this child and another day for the others..." and so on.

Students that participate in multiple disciplines and in several classes in each discipline are going to have very busy schedules. The rules state that a student need enter only two solo classes in a discipline in order to qualify for awards. Most new and junior students do that.

The committee will note your concerns for next year's schedulers. Availability of adjudicators, interdisciplinary conflicts and hall access do make scheduling classes a very onerous task.
Your continued support is appreciated.

Festival Committee

OfflinePersonal Gallery of antoonView user's profileSend private message
musiclover

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:18 am  Post subject:   Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Just an added note: When they go to do their practical exams in June, they will have to perform all their repertoire at once, 3-4 pieces, 1-2 studies, all of their technical exercises, ear tests, sight reading, etc. They will do this all in one session, without any breaks in between. The Kiwanis Festival is a great place to try this out.

OfflinePersonal Gallery of musicloverView user's profileSend private message
lian

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 pm  Post subject:   Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

My daughter was informed by the festival committee that she had won award and was invited to the grand concert on April 20th. But unfortunately she is unable to attend the celebration because she has piano competition in Windsor Kiwanis that night. What should we do? Can we pick up the award in other day or can someone receive the award on her behalf? Please help!

OfflinePersonal Gallery of lianView user's profileSend private message
webmaster
Kiwanis Member
Kiwanis Member

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 pm  Post subject:   Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

We'll make sure she will get her award. I have forwarded your concerns to the festival coordinators. Please make yourself known by sending an email to the secretary (festival.secretary@music.chathamkiwanis.com).
Thanks!

OfflinePersonal Gallery of webmasterView user's profileSend private message
Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

View next topic
View previous topic